Architects of a New Dawn

We’d like to show the side of the world you don’t normally see on television.

Here's an interesting article from PBS regarding gender differences in early learning....

http://www.pbs.org/parents/raisingboys/school02.html?utm_source=fac...

What do you think?

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

The article you linked to said about all I would have...
I observed those discrepancies when my son was in school... and now in my grandson's experience it remains true. And in both cases, the kids know which teachers exhibit a gender preference.

When my son was in middle school he had a teacher that he said showed preference to girls... I didn't pay too much attention to his comment until I met her. We shook hands and she crushed my hand... overkill and lack of awareness on her part. Then during the course of conversation between the principal, my son, her and me... she repeatedly praised her daughters and female students and criticized her sons and her male students. Her patterns quickly emerged...

"Many boys don't feel that they can grow up to be masculine men by being good at school. Girls often feel that you can be a successful girl and woman by doing well in school,"

The above quote points out the errors in education of both genders.
I think the "feelings" of boys not equating education and masculinity is indicative, in part, of a lack of masculine influence. Their masculine identity is insecure and endangered in the hands of man-hating women.... of which I fear there are far too many - even amongst educators and mothers.
And the girls who think doing well in school will insure future success may be in for a letdown... particularly if their socioeconomic circumstances don't support success.
Glad to see you back Jeanne, thanks for replying to what probably seems like an intimidating topic for many. In the primary grades, the kids are at a point of getting socialized away from the home. So there is just such a large burden that is placed on this institution. I see and also can remember all the "people pleasing" dictates--wanting to get the praise (a la "good job", discussed by Claudia Patton), sitting down, being quite, but mostly it was a female dominated arena with almost no male role models. Educational systems have not changed much, and I think it is brilliant that you point out that what they are providing may not be what leads to ultimate success, as much as they would think.

To balance and lend comprehension to whatever is there at the school--especially female biases--parents, particularly fathers must remain active in the lives of their children.

RSS

Featured Photos

Members

Groups

© 2024   Created by Richard Lukens.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service